21 (as mentioned in Black Jack 21)
Pinoko (Adoptive daughter)
Kagemitsu Hazama (Father)
Mio Hazama (Mother)
Black Jack is the main character in the manga and anime series. He is an unlicensed master surgeon who asks for ridiculous fees. He lives in a house on a hill overlooking the beach with his adoptive daughter, Pinoko and their pet dog, Largo in the 2004 TV series. In the anime and manga, he lives with Pinoko.
Black Jack became a surgeon after being inspired by Dr.Jotaro Honma. He will ask for extremely high fees before performing a surgery but he will perform some surgeries for free for the poor, people who repay him with kindness or people who has stories which moved him on the inside. He is an expert in diagnosing a disease and performing tough surgeries in difficult situations. Many doctors say his way of operating on a patient is like the hands of a God.
He was mostly described as a cold and rude person by many but he is a humble person and has a good side which he doesn't show it directly like raising up Pinoko after she was being abandoned by her twin sister, helping a helpless person in need and many more. Throughout his journey, he learns a lot about life lessons and has to face the reality that there are times he cannot go against the forces of nature. He is also clever in tricking people with a good intention.
Besides being an expert in surgery, he is also a skilled combat fighter and always uses his scalpels like a shuriken (ninja stars) which he hides in underneath his cape. He only fights to defend himself or others.
21 years ago, Black Jack was on a beach with his mother, Mio Hazama. During his exploration, he found a half buried bomb which is buried by an evil gang and the bomb explodes, leaving him shredded almost to pieces. Even though the chances of him surviving is quite slim, Dr. Jotaro Honma thinks otherwise. He began to perform a surgery on Black Jack and successfully reconnected his torn body. Unfortunately for Mio, she has lost most of her organs and four limbs, leaving her a very slim chance of survival. Black Jack was reunited with his mother and was told that he must forgive his father, Kagemitsu Hazama, for what he has done and Mio passed away soon after. Kagemitsu ran away to Macau, China with his new wife after the incident, leaving Black Jack nothing but growing up filled with rage and hatred towards his father. Everyday, he practices at the hospital to regain his use of his limbs without any help and learns the meaning of hardship. Since that day, Black Jack never lived a happy life.
Inspired by Dr. Honma, he studied medicine and became a genius surgeon himself. During his high school years, he skipped worthless classes and sometimes play dart at the back of his school. There, he befriended the school's talkative joker who taught him how to smile for the first time. While practicing in a hospital, a patient who turned out to be his girlfriend, developed cervical cancer. He decides to operate on her secretly despite his medical license being revoked by the head surgeon later. After his graduation, he opened his clinic on a hill, overlooking the beach and starts to treat and diagnosing diseases. For five years Black Jack never had a friend until a killer whale named Triton befriended him.
Now, he is currently living with Pinoko, treating and saving lives while charging them ridiculous fees or free of charge for the poor.
Black Jack has mostly white hair (due to shock) than black hair on his head and his hair nearly covered half his right face, giving him a scary look. He has a pair of hazelnut coloured eyes. He also bears a scar across his left face where a dark skin which is his friend's skin is placed. He wears a black cape, red bowtie, black long-sleeved jacket, black vest with a white long-sleeved shirt underneath it, black long pants and a pair of black shoes. Ironically, despite his scary appearance he is still considered attractive by those who get to know him. This is especially apparent in the OVAs, where in a majority of the episodes women fell for him, making him a James Bond sort.
He is a skilled surgeon capable of many near impossible surgeries. He is also shown to rely solely on his instincts and hands rather than current technology which consists of robotic surgical aid. He works much faster than most and can even help heal wounds with limited supplies at hand. He even has the entire physical human body memorized (though he had a hard time helping a patient named Tinq since his organs were reversed. He has even managed to perform surgery on himself to remove a virus he wasn't familiar with.
- Jotarou Honma
- Mio Hazama
- Kagemitsu Hazama
- Zen Mantoku
Close Friends Edit
- Kumiko Honma
Acquaintances/Work Relations/Friend Edit
- Dectective Takasugi
- Osamu Tezuka
- Dr. Ayuko
Past Friends Edit
- Dr. Kiriko
- Dr. White
Love Interests Edit
- Black Queen
- Rie Fujinami
- His real name is actually Kurō Hazama (間 黒男 Hazama Kurō).
- The name "Black Jack" is actually "Kuro", which means black if written with Japanese characters, and "Jack", a common word for man, combined together, thus forming the word "Black Jack".
- Many people say Black Jack looks a little identical with Captain Harlock due to their scars across their left side of the face.
- Even though Black Jack has shown no interest in women, he used to fall in love with his friend's sister who used to practice in the same hospital with him.
- In the 2004 TV series, Black Jack mentioned the reasons he didn't want to marry is because he doesn't want any women to be burdened by the taunts of people due to his appearance and personality.
- He met with his father again in the Black Jack 21 series.
- In the manga, during his lie-detector test in the story "U-18", he answered that his father is with his new wife in Hong Kong instead of Macau, China.
- The woman he thinks is the most beautiful of all is his mother.
- The dark patch of skin on his face is a gift from his friend, Takashi. He refuses to change the colour saying it was a precious gift and changing the colour of the skin is like rejecting Takshi's gift.
- He used to have an animal friend named Triton, a killer whale that he treated.
- He was good in darts during his high school years.